Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake
- 1/3 c. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 c. flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2/3 c. sugar
- 1/2 c. vegetable oil
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 3/4 c. buttermilk
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 medium apples cored, peeled and chopped into 1/2” pieces
- Set out the eggs to warm to room temperature. Peel and core the apples. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8” x 8” baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar and cinnamon.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, and baking powder with a whisk.
- In a large 4 c. measuring cup, combine with sugar, oil, eggs, buttermilk and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the flour mixture and mix just until combined. Do not over mix.
- Chop the apples into 1/2” pieces. Spread 1/2 the batter into the prepared pan. Top with half the apples and half the brown sugar mixture. Press down slightly. Spread the remaining batter over the apples and then top with the remaining apples and brown sugar mixture. With a knife, swirl the batter slightly to mix the apples into the batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 - 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes then serve. This is best served wam.