Apple Cinnamon Scones
- 2 c. flour
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/3 c. cold butter cut into pieces
- 3/4 c. apple peeled, cored and finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 1/2 c. heavy cream
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- Additional heavy cream
- Cinnamon sugar mixture
- Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the finely chopped apple. Make a well in the center and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, 1/2 cup heavy cream and vanilla. Add the egg mixture all at once to the flour mixture. Using a fork, stir until moistened and a dough forms.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead the dough by folding a gently pressing the dough for 10 to 12 times. Pat into an 8-inch circle. Cut into 8 wedges.
- Place the wedges 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheet. Brush the wedges with additional heavy cream and sprinkle with additional sugar. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 12 to 14 minutes or until lightly golden. Transfer the baked scones to a wire rack. Cool them for about 10 minutes. Serve warm with additional butter, jam, lemon curd or Devonshire cream.