Candied Dill Pickles
- 1 quart whole dill pickles without garlic
- 1 T. finely chopped onion
- 1 tsp. celery seed
- 2 1/2 c. sugar
- 1 tsp. mustard seed
- 1/4 c. coarsely chopped pickled sweet cherry peppers
- 1 jalapeño chili finely chopped
- Drain the pickles. Cut the larger pickles lengthwise into fourths and the smaller pickles into halves. Drain the cut pickles in a colander. Mix the pickles, sugar, cherry peppers, onion, celery seed, mustard seed and jalapeño in a large glass bowl. Cover and refrigerate at least 24 hours, stirring several times to dissolve sugar. Pack the pickles back into the empty pickle jar. Store covered in the refrigerator up to 1 month. If you want spicier pickles, leave the seeds in the jalapeño chili when you chop it. For milder pickles, remove the seeds and ribs before chopping.
These pickles can also be packed in smaller jars and given as gifts.