- 8 T. butter
- Flour for dusting the pan
- 1/3 c. plus 1/2 c. evaporated milk
- 1 18.5 oz. pkg. chocolate cake mix
- 1 c. finely chopped pecans
- 60 caramels
- 1/3 c semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Unwrap the caramels.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9” x 9” baking pan. Melt the butter.
- Begin by pouring 1/3 c evaporated milk into a bowl with the cake mix. Add the melted butter and the chopped pecans. Mix the ingredients together. It will be very thick.
- Divide the cake mix mixture in half. Press half of it into the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- While the cake layer is baking, set a bowl over a pan with simmering water. Make sure the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water. Add the 1/2 c. Evaporated milk and the unwrapped caramels to the bowl, Stir occasionally until the caramels are completely melted and the mixture is smooth. Pour the caramel mixture over the first baked layer, spreading so it is evenly distributed. Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the top.
- On a sheet of wax paper, press the remaining dough into a square slightly smaller than the baking pan. Carefully set this layer on top of the chocolate chips. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and let the brownies cool to room temperature. Cover the pan and refrigerate for several hours.
- Remove the brownies from the oven an hour before you are ready to serve them. Cut into squares to serve.