Caramelized Onion and Bacon Dip
- 4 bacon strips diced
- 2 sweet onions sliced
- 1/4 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 T. balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp tabasco
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Brown the chopped bacon and drain off the excess fat. Add the onions, sugar and salt. Sauté over medium-low heat for 20 minutes or until a golden brown color.
- Add the vinegar, Tabasco and thyme. Cook for 1 minute.
- In a bowl, mix the mayonnaise, sour cream and shredded cheese. Add the onion and bacon mixture. Stir in the pepper and mix thoroughly.
- Put in a baking dish and bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Let cool slightly then serve with crackers and/or crostini.