Carrot Cupcakes with Brown Sugar Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp + 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp + 1/8 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup sour cream light is fine
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups finely grated carrots
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- dash of salt
- 3 cups powdered sugar more or less
- Whisk together flour, soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat sugar, eggs, and oil till thick and foamy, 1-2 minutes. Add the sour cream, vanilla, and carrots and mix well. Add the dry ingredients and stir till just blended.
- Fill paper lined cupcake pans half full. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes. Cool completely.
- For frosting, beat together cream cheese, butter, and brown sugar till smooth. Let sit for 5-10 minutes till brown sugar dissolves completely. Add vanilla, salt, and enough powdered sugar to make a frosting thick enough to pipe. Use a large star tip to frost cupcakes.
Optional: These are great with our Pineapple Curd piped into the middle on the cupcakes. Before frosting, make a small hole in the middle of the cupcake and fill with the pineapple curd. If you don’t have a piping bag, you can place the curd in a ziplock bag and snip one corner to make your own!