- 1/2 c. butter
- Zest from 1 orange
- 1 c. plus 1 T. sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 c. flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 c. fresh cranberries
- 1/2 c. buttermilk
- Set the butter and egg out to bring to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9” square baking pan.
- Cream the butter with the orange zest and 1 cup of the sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Toss the cranberries with 2 tablespoons of flour. Set aside.
- Whisk together the remaining flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the batter a little at a time, alternating with the buttermilk. Fold in the cranberries. Spread the batter into the pan. The batter will be very thick.Sprinkle the batter with the remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar. Bake for 35 minutes then check to see if it is done by touching the top or inserting a toothpick. If needed, return the pan to the oven, checking every 5 minutes until it is done.
- Let cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.
You can make the batter the night before and store it in a container with a lid then transfer to the greased pan in the morning and bake. It will probably take 45 to 50 minutes to bake.