2 8 oz Steaks (Sirloin or Ribeye)
2 Green bell peppers, diced
1 Onion, diced
8 oz Mushrooms (White or Cremini), diced
1 package Egg roll wrappers
2 Tbl Corn starch
Vegetable Oil for frying
1 Tbl Butter
1 Tbl Flour
1 Cup Milk
8 oz Provolone (grated or cubed)
- Season steak with salt and pepper. Heat a pan, preferably a cast iron skillet, over medium high for about 1-2 minutes then cook steak for 4 minutes on each side, which should cook the meat to medium rare. Remove steak from the pan and allow to rest for 10-15 minutes before slicing into thin strips.
- In the same pan, add 1-2 Tbl of vegetable oil and sauté off the green peppers, approximately 3-4 minutes, seasoning with salt and pepper. Repeat with the onion and mushrooms, separately.
- Lay out all ingredients (egg roll wrappers, sliced steak, sautéed vegetables) along with a small dish of water and a cookie sheet dusted with corn starch.
- To assemble an egg roll, take one wrapper and place about 2-3 slices of steak in the middle of the wrapper. Add about 1 Tbl of each vegetable on top of the steak.
- Roll up the egg roll by folding up the back edge over the filling, then tucking in the sides as you roll forward. Before finishing the roll, dip your finger in the water and run around the edges of the wrapper to create a seal. Place the egg roll on the cookie sheet and roll to lightly coat in corn starch. Repeat with remaining ingredients, which should make about 8 egg rolls.
- In a high sided frying pan, heat 1 inch of vegetable oil over medium heat until when an egg roll is added to the pan, small bubbles form, which should take about 3-5 minutes. Fry egg rolls in batches to not overcrowd the pan (about 3-4 egg rolls at a time), cooking the egg roll for 2-3 minutes per side or until golden brown. Note: egg rolls can be kept warm until ready to serve by placing on a cookie sheet in a 275 degree oven.
- To make the provolone dip, melt the butter is a small sauce pan and whisk in the flour. Cook for 2 minutes then slowly whisk in the milk and provolone cheese. Serve along side the egg rolls.