Smoky Beef and Dark Beer Chili
- 2 1/2 lb. ground beef
- 1 T. canola oil
- 2 onions chopped
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper chopped
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- 2 T. chili powder
- 1 T. chipotle chili powder
- 1 tsp. minced canned chipotle chilies in adobo sauce
- 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz.) can chili beans
- 1 (12 oz.) bottle dark beer
- 1 (15 oz.) can crushed or diced tomatoes
- Sauté beef in a large heavy pot over medium-high heat until no longer pink.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet; add the onions, bell peppers and jalapeño. If you want a milder chili, remove the seeds from the jalapeño. Sauté until the vegetables soften, about 15 minutes.
- Drain the meat mixture and return the meat and the vegetables to the large pot. Mix in the spices and chipotle chilies. Add the tomatoes, beans and beer. Bring the chili to boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.