- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold butter cubed
- 1/2 Tbsp vegetable shortening
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 12 ounces/340 grams cranberries
- 1 cup/225 grams sugar
- Juice and peel (orange part only) of 1 orange
- 4 ounces/113 grams softened butter(1 stick)
- 2 eggs plus 2 egg yolks
- 2 lrg egg whites
- 3/8 C granulated sugar
- 3 Tbsp light corn syrup
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 Cups Sugar divided
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 12 oz Fresh cranberries, washed and rinsed
In a food processor, combine flour, butter, shortening, and sugar. Process to a coarse meal.
Add cream and process again until dough is moistened and hold together when squeezed.
Turn dough out and push a few times with the palm of your hand until it comes together. Wrap and chill dough 15-30 mins (freezer 10 mins)
Pat the pastry evenly in the bottom and up the sides of an 8-9 inch tart pan, which has been sprayed with cooking spray, then cover with plastic wrap and chill 30 mins or freeze 10 mins.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and lightly prick the bottom of the pastry crust with a fork. Press aluminum foil into the crust, fill with pie weights (can substitute dry beans or uncooked rice).
Bake for 5 mins at 400 then reduce the heat to 350 and continue to bake for 10 mins. Take out foil and weights, then bake for another 5-10 mins. Remove from oven and allow to cool (Crust can be made up to a day ahead and stored in fridge).
- Put cranberries, sugar and orange juice and peel in a saucepan over medium heat. Simmer until cranberries have popped and softened, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a collider or strainer and press cooking liquid into a bowl. Whisk the butter into the warm liquid.
- Put eggs and egg yolks into a bowl and beat lightly. Slowly whisk a cup of warm cranberry liquid into the eggs to temper, then combine both and whisk together. Wipe out pot if necessary, return liquid to pot and cook over low heat until nearly bubbling and thickened, about 10 minutes. If using immediately, let cool to room temperature. If working ahead, cool to room temperature, cover with plastic wrap (press wrap against curd) and refrigerate. (Curd may be cooked up to 1 day ahead.)
- Pour cooled cranberry curd into the cooled prebaked tart shell and smooth top with a spatula. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes to set curd. Cool on a rack. Store at room temperature for up to 2 days.
For the meringue, put eggs whites, sugar and corn syrup in the top of a double boiler over boiling water and beat with a hand mixer until it turns white, thickens and ribbons form- about 4 mins.
Transfer mixture to a mixing bowl, add vanilla and beat with electric mixer with whisk attachment on Med high till soft peaks form- about 30 sec.
Pipe onto the finished tarts and using a brulee torch, toast the meringue.
- For the sugared cranberries, combine 1/2 cup of sugar with water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Once sugar is dissolved remove from heat and add cranberries to coat.
- Remove coated cranberries with a slotted spoon and place on a large cooling rack to dry.
- Let sit for about one hour then stir cranberries into the left over cup of sugar to crystalize.
- Garnish the tart with sugared cranberries.